At Wairoa District Council we're lucky enough to serve this district and its 8000+ residents, and a crucial element of our Council is ensuring effective governance arrangements.
Due to the departure of one of our valued team members, we have a full time Governance Advisor role to focus on this key responsibility area and support governance arrangements and affairs.
This position requires a motivated individual who will ensure compliance with Council and statutory requirements and a consistent approach to ensuring professional delivery of Council agendas, minutes and meeting protocols.
In this role you'll be responsible for:
- Working closely with, and serving, the Mayor, Council and its committees.
- Monitoring governance trends in the local government environment.
- Overseeing that WDC adhere to best-practice governance principles.
- Ensuring transparency in decision-making.
- Ensuring all legal and Standing Orders are complied with, and recordkeeping is adhered to.
In addition to the above, you'll undertake research, develop governance processes, oversee recordkeeping processes and ensure adherence to relevant legislation.
You'll demonstrate excellent research, critical thinking skills and have expert technical knowledge of local government legislation and governance requirements. Public speaking is a requirement of the role, as is the ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in the local government governance environment.
- Expert knowledge of both the Local Government Act 2002 and the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.
- Expert knowledge of the local government sector and a strong passion for governance affairs.
This position offers a tremendous variety and depth of work experience in a small but progressive local authority, and the opportunity to contribute to an exceptional rural community. A competitive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
A full job description and employment application form are available on request from Council Offices, Queen Street, Wairoa (06) 838-7309 or on our website www.wairoadc.govt.nz.
Applications close midnight on Sunday 1 March 2020.
Please apply via Council's careers portal or mail to:
Private & Confidential, Ref: Policy and Governance Advisor
Wairoa District Council
PO Box 54, WAIROA 4160
Ph: (06) 838-7309
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Wairoa District Council is an equal opportunities employer.